Here’s a treat for you all. This is a fantastic weekend brunch dish and a firm favourite in our house with the kids. It also comes out on the weekends when my parents are here as they’re not keen on a full English but absolutely love a spicy breakfast to start their day!
I use rye bread to keep this dish as clean as possible but I always do a few slices of good old normal sliced for the kids (they haven’t quite developed a palette for rye yet!) Spelt also works very well in this recipe thanks to its firm texture which can hold the eggs well.
You can get rye bread from all supermarkets now, just be careful to read the ingredients as often they are not pure rye and do include wheatflour. If you’re following a MC&L programme or wanting to just eat ‘clean’ make sure you look for a pure rye loaf. Ingredients should be as basic as rye, flour, salt. My favourite is ‘The Village Bakery’ loaf. I’m not sure how they manage it but the loaf isn’t quite as dense and malty as some rye breads and it has a really light nutty texture – perfect for this recipe and eggs in general.
Basic principle of this recipe is just a lovely French toast however rather than sweet this is an Indian spiced version. Fabulous served with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms or for the non-clean cheat version, a big dollop of ketchup!
Ingredients – serves 4
- 6 eggs
- 8 slices bread (more rye as tends to be quite a small loaf)
- Salt to taste
- Tsp garam masala
- Small bunch coriander chopped
- I -2 chillies chopped (deseeded if preferred)
- ½ thumb ginger grated or chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Crack eggs into bowl and whisk well
- Add salt, garam masala, chilli, ginger and coriander and mix
- In a frying pan, heat a ¼ of coconut oil on a medium heat
- Dip a slice of bread in egg mix and ensure well coated on both sides
- Add to frying pan and cook on low heat (to ensure cooks through) on both sides – approx. 2 mins both sides
- Stack and cover in a tented foil parcel to keep warm
- Pile on plates with whatever vegetables/condiments you wish or with a side of bacon for those who need your fix!
ntil next time,