OK so maybe not quite a burger…more a patty, and maybe not quite a chip…more a skin on wedge. But definitely very filling and leaves you with the satisfaction of a hearty meal not just ‘protein greens and a starchy carb’. Which is essentially what this is. It would be the perfect fast breaker on a MC&L fast day and ticks all the right boxes for being completely clean, high in protein and being nutritionally dense.
We have quinoa ‘burgers’ made from cooked quinoa, cashews and carrot with the added spice of ginger, garlic and chilli. Some simple yet always winning sweet potato wedges and a gorgeously roasted tomato with balsamic to give you that relish hit. I managed to find some green tiger tomatoes at the local grocers which look gorgeous and hold their shape really well for roasting as they’re quite firm. Would be great crumbled with feta or sliced thick on the BBQ.
- 1 cup quinoa cooked and cooled
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 thumb ginger chopped or grated
- Handful of coriander chopped
- Small handful cashews chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of spelt flour
1. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well – I find it easier to get stuck in with my hands!
2. When the mixture is sticks together when you press it, it’s the right texture. Try and squeeze as much water out of your quinoa when cooled as possible as the less water, the less flour you will need.
3. Form patties with your hands and place on a baking tray greased with coconut oil. I threw my sweet potato on at the same time and added the tomato later too to save washing up.
4. Cook for about 35 minutes until brown, turning half way through cooking time.
5. Serve on a bed of leaves (spinach or rocket) with roast tomato and sweet potato wedges.
Until next time,