Well, it’s not that long till Valentine’s Day, and sometimes being on this "diet" can be harder for the "other halves" than us, so this one’s for all the meat lovers out there! It is a great alternative to a traditional steak, looks like you have gone to some effort (but it’s none at all) and is healthy too. It's a nice and easy recipe to allow you to share this special evening with the one you love. Let's just hope the kids go to bed!
This serves 2, but could just as easily be a pampering pita for one!
- 1 steak (rump or sirloin)
- 4 tablespoons of hummus (homemade)
- Rocket or watercress/spinach mix, roughly 1 pack
- 10 quartered baby tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- Coconut oil to cook with
- 2 wholemeal pita bread (or iceberg leaves or cauliflower tortillas if you're sticking to protein and greens)
- Olive oil and balsamic to drizzle
- Griddle the steak in a little coconut oil and crushed garlic. For medium rare cook on each side for 2 mins.
- Season once it’s out of the pan and allow to rest. Meanwhile toast the pita bread and split open when cooked (be careful of the killer steam!!)
- Place the pita onto a plate and spread the hummus generously over. Scatter over the leaves and chopped baby tomatoes (an extra of avocado or asparagus could be added too.)
- Slice the steak very finely into strips and evenly share between the two portions. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of balsamic and serve!
PS For those of you that haven't made your own hummus yet I urge you to do it, it’s so easy and you can add to it flavours of beetroot, pesto or get creative with different herbs and spices. I don't use tahini in mine as I'm not sure it really adds anything and it keeps the cost down.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Empty can of chickpeas (including water) into a microwaveable bowl and cook for 3 mins.
- Drain and place in a bowl with lemon juice and water and blend with a hand blender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.